Animation Age Ghetto - ALL CARTOONS ARE FOR KIDS!1For more info, visit the TV tropes page: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AnimationAgeGhettoxAprilyne
So far, I've seen these examples.
- Grave of the Fireflies is a "family movie," according to my local library.
- A grandmother bought the complete collection of "Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt" for her five year old granddaughter, because said grandmother can't read the box, mistaking it for the Powerpuff Girls.
- "South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut" belongs in the kids section of the DVD rental store.
Are you fucking kidding me?
*facedesks for all eternity.*
AnimationAnimation is not just for kids. Regardless of how moronic americans are about the subject, animation should not by any means be restricted to either child friendly productions nor to ridiculously childish "adult" comedy. Anime has long broken off this ridiculous ghetto, but the west is still deep down in this pathetic stereotype.JohnFaa
First of all, serious animated movies and series have been made. In most cases, they are child friendly, but stuff like Watership Down, The Secret of NIMH, Plague Dogs, even a few Pixar movies can be serious and enjoyable for older audiences (and in WD's and PD's case, they are even child friendly). Moral Orel is a perfect example of a good, adult series, while some series aimed at children like Avatar: The Last Aibender and Gargoyles can be entertaining to adults and have much darker themes than most animation you see on Saturday mornings.
Second, its a medium. Every medium can be either childish or serious, and as me
10 ways to improve humanity1. Kill off harmful sects of Christianity, Islam, and whatever other religion that causes intolerance and ignorance (that may include the entirity of Scientology)JohnFaa
2. End the senseless obsession with wolves, horses and other pathetic and idiotic creatures who aren't worthy of being alive and educate more on the problems that species like coelacanths and crocodillians face and how valuable they are to the ecosystem.
3. Make marriage a secular action and not connected to religion unless if religious people decide to do it as a celebration of their religion, and LGBT people must be allowed to marry, even if only secularly.
4. Kill off communist parties that follow the ideologies of Stalin, Fidel Castro and Mao Zedong; encourage actual socialism and shun extreme capitalism/communism.
5. Kill off useless patriots who oppose healthcare and any other benign policies.
6. Educate on how any medium is capable of producing decent stories, and kill off those who support the Animation/Comic Book/Fan
|just here to look really.|